Working together to link individuals and families affected by Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia to a community of learning, services and support.
Benefits to Specialists, Physicians and other Health Care Professionals
- By working together, Health Care Professionals can focus on the medical aspects of dementia care and Alzheimer Society staff can provide ongoing support, education and help in navigating the health care system.
- Alzheimer Society staff does not provide medical advice.
- This partnership provides a holistic approach to care, and may result in fewer unplanned visits to their physicians or medical facilities.
Benefits to Patients
- Early access to information, services and support.
- Ongoing support throughout the continuum of the disease.
- Helps to reduce the overall incidence and intensity of caregiving crisis situations.
- Caregivers report they are more knowledgeable about the progression of the disease, and are more confident in their caregiving role.
- Early intervention provides an opportunity for people with dementia to have a voice in planning for their own care while they are still able to do so.
Benefits to the Health System
- Patients are connected to services at a local level for a more community-based, integrated continuum of care.
- Research shows that families benefitting from early intervention through education, support and counselling will delay placement in a long term care setting, resulting in significant savings for the health care system.
For a referral form to be completed by a health care provider, click: First Link Referral Form
For more information, contact:
Alzheimer Society of New Brunswick
320 Maple Street, Suite 100
Fredericton, NB, E3A 3R4
Phone : 1-(506)-459-4280
Fax : 1-(506)-452-0313
E-mail: [email protected]